3 1/3 cups
active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups
Ener-G Egg Substitute
The Caramel Base
light corn syrup
- First, make caramel base.
- Combine ingredients in saucepan and heat slowly, stirring often.
- When mixture starts to bubble, pour into baking pan (long cake size).
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast.
- Heat soy milk, sugar, shortening and salt, until just warm.
- Stir constantly until shortening is almost melted.
- Add this to the dry mixture and then add egg substitute.
- Beat at low speed for 1/2 minute, scraping bowl.
- Beat 3 minutes at high speed.
- By hand, stir in remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Shape into ball.
- Place in lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface.
- Cover and let rise in warm place till double, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Punch down and turn out onto floured surface.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll dough into 24x16-inch rectangle.
- Brush with 1/2 cup melted margarine, and then sprinkle with brown sugar-cinnamon mix.
- Roll as for jelly roll, starting with long edge.
- Seal and cut into 1-inch slices.
- Place rolls, cut side down, into baking pan.
- Let rest in warm place until double, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for around 20 minutes.
- Rolls should be golden.
- Let cool around 5 minutes, and then invert pan on rack or tray.