ripe red pears
( or other pear variety)
1 1/2 cups white zinfandel wine or 1 1/2 cups
fresh mint leaves
- Core pears from bottom, leaving stem intact.
- Using a paring knife, peel a spiral channel from tip to bottom of fruit, if desired.
- Slice the very bottom off pears to allow them to stand upright.
- Stand pears up in the bottom of a large saucepan then add wine and vanilla.
- Bring mixture just to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer pears, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until pears are just tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer pears to four dessert dishes.
- Add sugar to liquid in pan and bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 12 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 2/3 cup and is the consistency of a thin sauce.
- Spoon sauce over pears.
- Drizzle honey on top.
- Serve warm or chilled.
- Garnish sauce on each plate with fresh mint leaves, if desired.