dried great northern bean
meaty ham bone
celery ribs, chopped
instant potato flakes
fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
- Put beans and enough water to cover in pot.
- Bring to a boil, and boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and soak for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- In large pot, put beans, ham bone, and 3 quarts water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat,cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add next 5 ingredients.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove hambone.
- Remove meat from bone and cut in small pieces.
- Return to pot.
- Heat through.