( combine beef, sausage, venison, turkey)
carrots, peeled & chopped
diced green pepper
garlic clove, minced
chicken bouillon cubes
1 -2 cup spinach, chopped or 1 -2 cup
sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Saute meats, rinse & drain for "lowfat" serving.
- Add veggies & cook until onion is transparent. Add 8 cups water *or use equivalent amount of chix broth* and everything else EXCEPT lentils, butter and cheese.
- Continue cooking covered, simmer for at least one hour on stove-top OR transfer to crockpot on LOW for several hours. Stir occasionally.
- Lentils go in 45 minutes to 1 hour before serving time. Add a bit of water if the soup becomes too thick.
- Add the butter if you're not doing the "lowfat" version and you like the richness of those yellow bubbles!
- Serve with grated sharp Cheddar cheese sprinkled over the top.
- NOTE: Leftovers are SUPERIOR to the first-run version.
- SUBSTITUTE: Try orzo pasta instead of the lentils.
- ***Chicken broth may be substituted here.