red potatoes, peeled
egg, lightly beaten
( or use matzo meal)
2 -4 teaspoons
( or to taste, or use white salt to taste)
( or to taste)
green onions, finely chopped
( use as much as you like I use lots!)
3 -4 tablespoons
fresh parsley, finely chopped
( good to add in!)
( for frying)
- Grate the potatoes using a the coarse side if the grater or use a food processor.
- Place into a large bowl and cover with cold water.
- Allow the grated potatoes to soak for at least a minimum of 8 hours or even up to 2 days.
- Using your hands firmly squeeze handfuls of the grated potatoes to remove as much liquid as possible, then place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in egg, flour, seasoned salt and pepper; mix well with a wooden spoon, then add in the green onions and parsley (if using).
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Place a heaping tablespoonful of the potato mixture into the hot skillet and using a fork, flatten slightly (the edges will be uneven!).
- Sprinkle with more salt if desired.
- Place only a few pancakes in the pan, careful not to over crowd.
- Cook until golden and crisp on both sides adding in more oil if needed).
- Repeat with remaining potato mixture.