2 1/2 cups
fast-rising active dry yeast
( not boiling)
oil, for oiling pans
cornmeal, to sprinkle on pan
- In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of flour with yeast and salt.
- Pour hot water and oil into flour mixture and mix well.
- Mix in remaining flour to make a slightly sticky dough.
- Form dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface - or using the dough hook on KitchenAid mixer - knead dough for about five minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Cut dough in half; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. To make later, refrigerate the rounds of dough at this point. Bring to room temperature before rolling or stretching.
- Meanwhile, lightly oil pizza pans or sheets and sprinkle lightly with cornmeal.
- Roll dough to desired thickness and transfer to pans, or place dough directly on pan and pat and stretch to desired shape and thickness.
- Let rise for 15 minutes, a little longer if you are making a thick crust.
- Add toppings.
- Bake in 450 degree oven for 16 to 18 minutes.