butter, melted and cooled slightly
pure vanilla extract
white chocolate, chopped roughly
- Grate the zest of the lime and set aside.
- Cut the outer pith from the lime and then carefully slide the knife under one membrane and gently remove a segment of lime flesh.
- Continue until all lime flesh has been extracted into a bowl for later use.
- NB. This isn't as hard as it sounds as the lime membranes are quite fibrous. Alternatively you could just squeeze the limes and use the juice.
- Now sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, mix together the egg, sugar, milk, butter and vanilla.
- Return the dry ingredients to the sifter and sift again over the egg mixture (Delia says this double sifting is essential, and hey, Delia always knows best!).
- Quickly fold the flour into the egg mixture, taking no more than 15 seconds, as over-mixing will prevent them rising.
- Add the lime zest, lime flesh, white chocolate and coconut (or whatever variation you prefer), combining with minimum stirring.
- Spoon into muffin trays and bake at 200C on a high shelf.
- Large muffins should take 30 minutes, smaller mini-muffins only about 20 minutes.
- Makes 6 large muffins or 20 mini-muffins.