1 1/4-1 1/2 lbs
potatoes, peeled and chopped
rutabaga, peeled and chopped
freshly ground black pepper
3 -4 cloves
serrano pepper, minced,to taste
sweet onion, chopped
1 1/4-1 1/2 lbs ground round or 1 1/4-1 1/2 lbs
lean ground beef
parsley or paprika or
( to garnish)
- Boil potatoes and swedes until almost done – note that swedes often require a few more minutes cooking time than potatoes.
- Drain and transfer to large mixing bowl.
- Add butter and milk.
- Mash, then beat with electric mixer until creamy.
- Set aside.
- Sauté onion in hot oil until almost tender.
- Add garlic and serrano and sauté one minute more.
- Mix in flour.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and black pepper.
- Add the meat and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Meat should be brown and moist but not wet.
- Drain excess liquid, if necessary.
- Spoon meat into a 2-quart casserole.
- Cover evenly with mashed potatoes.
- Bake at 350° 50 minutes or until edges bubble and a crust forms on the potatoes.
- Garnish and serve.