4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons
8 ounces green lentils (225g) or 8 ounces
brown lentils, washed
1 1/4 pints
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
garlic clove, crushed
onions, finely sliced
8 fluid ounces
- Heat half the butter or oil (2tbsp) in a large, heavy pan, then add the lentils and stir over a medium heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add the water, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the rice, cumin and allspice, then return to the boil and mix well.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils and rice are tender and all the liquid has been absorbed (probably about 15-20 minutes). Keep an eye on it - depending on the type of rice and lentils you use, you may need to add more water. When cooked, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter or oil in a small frying pan, and fry the sliced onions until they are dark golden in colour, adding the garlic towards the end of the cooking.
- When ready to serve, mix about three-quarters of the fried onion into the rice and lentil mixture, then transfer the mixture into a large serving dish. Pour the yoghurt on top, and garnish with the remaining fried onion. Serve immediately.