For the vanilla spice rub
vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
fresh ground pepper
For the Peaches
( or nectarines)
soft fresh goat cheese
( 1/4 cup)
- Prepare a grill for medium direct heat.
- For the rub, put the sugar in a small bowl. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the sugar using the tip of a sharp paring knife (tuck the bean into a bowl of sugar for vanilla sugar).
- Mix the vanilla seeds with the sugar, using the tips of your fingers to break up clumps. Stir in the pepper and cinnamon.
- Cut the peaches in half; remove the pits. Brush the cut sides lightly with oil; sprinkle generously with the spice rub (you will not use all the spice rub -- reserve the remaining for another use).
- Place the peaches, cut sides up, on a lightly oiled grill; grill until the peaches are starting to soften and the skin side is marked by the grill, about 3 minutes.
- Turn; grill until the sugar is nicely golden and caramelized, about 2 minutes (move to a cooler part of the grill if they are browning too quickly).
- Turn the peaches cut-side up again; place 1 tablespoon of the goat cheese in the center of each.
- Grill peaches until goat cheese is warmed and just beginning to melt, about 1 minute. Transfer to a platter.
- Sprinkle the goat cheese with a little more of the spice rub.
- Serve hot.