dried lemon grass
dried galanga root
3 cups fish stock or 3 cups
2 (14 ounce) cans
3 -6 small
red chilies, cut into rounds
fresh cilantro, chopped
white fish fillet, cut into bite-sized chunks
limes, juice of
- Simmer the laos root and lemongrass in 1 cup of the stock for 1/2 hour. Add more liquid as necessary (you want to end up with 1 cup of stock).
- In a large saucepan, simmer the coconut milk and 2 remaining cups of stock, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Add the chiles, scallions, cilantro, and fish.
- Strain the lemongrass and laos mixture and add that liquid to the pot (you can toss out the herbs).
- Simmer, uncovered, until the fish is just cooked. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the lime juice and the fish sauce, adding more if desired.