red bell peppers, roasted, cored, seeded, and peeled
( directions below, OR skip the work and use bottled roasted red peppers!!!)
garlic cloves, crushed with the side of a large, heavy knife
( iceberg, red leaf, salad bowl, butter, and or or romaine)
radishes, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
ripe beefsteak tomatoes, cored and chopped, including seeds and juices
fine sea salt
anchovies packed in oil, fillets, rinsed and chopped
yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
( Palm's Basic Vinaigrette)
crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat the oven to 250°F In a roasting pan, toss the peppers with the garlic and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper; then roast for about 2 hours, until completely tender. Remove from the oven, cover the pan tightly with foil, and let stand for 20 minutes. Peel the peppers (try to remove all the skin, but don't worry if a little remains). Cut into quarters lengthwise, and set aside. Discard the garlic.
- Wash and thoroughly dry the greens in a salad spinner or with clean kitchen towels (if they are wet, the dressing won't adhere).
- Chop the greens coarsely and toss in a large bowl with the radishes, tomatoes, salt, anchovies, and onion.
- Coarsely chop the roasted peppers and add them to the bowl, tossing gently.
- Add a generous amount of vinaigrette, and toss again until all the ingredients are evenly coated.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer to chilled salad plates, spreading the salad fairly flat. Sprinkle with the blue cheese, if desired, and serve at once.