4 (2 ounce)
boneless skinless chicken breasts
prosciutto, very thinly sliced
( for dredging)
( I used about 5 tbl)
thinly sliced deli mozzarella cheese
grated parmesan cheese
low sodium chicken broth
- Place chicken breasts between pieces of waxed paper and pound them with a mallet until about 1/4" thick.
- Lay out slices of prosciutto side by side on counter, with the length of the slice facing away from you.
- Place one of the chicken cutlets on top of 3 or 4 prosciutto slices. Fold the upper and lower edges of the prosciutto slices in and over the chicken cutlet. The cutlet will be partially covered by the prosciutto. Flip the cutlet over and it will be totally covered. Repeat with all 4 cutlets. (That seemed like a lot of work to me. I cut a pocket in the chicken cutlets and inserted diced prosciutto. Turned out just fine.).
- Break eggs into a wide shallow bowl and beat well.
- Place enough flour to dust the chicken in another wide shallow bowl.
- Dip each cutlet into the egg, coating well. Let excess egg drip off and then dip lightly in flour.
- In two 8" saute pans, place 3 tbl butter (I used half that amount) and heat over medium heat.
- When butter is foaming, place 2 cutlets in each pan.
- Cook the cutlets until golden on the outside and just done inside (about 2 or 3 minutes per side).
- Preheat broiler.
- When chicken is done, remove cutlets to broiler pan.
- Top each piece with one tablespoon (or more) of parmesan and then a slice of mozzarella.
- Place under broiler until cheese has completely melted and browned slightly.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Spill butter out of saute pans and wipe them lightly with a paper towel. (I didn't do this and used the pan juices and butter in the sauce.).
- Return pans to high heat and add 1/4 cup marsala and 1/4 cup chicken stock to each pan.
- Boil quickly until only 3 or 4 tbl of liquid is left in each pan.
- Turn heat to low and place 2 tbl of butter in each pan (again, I used less). Swirl with a whisk until a creamy brown sauce is formed.
- Divide cutlets between 2 plates and pour marsala sauce over and around them.
- Serve immediately.