40 g butter or 40 g
onion, sliced thinly
garlic clove, crushed
3 1/2 cups
orange rind, thinly pared strips
1 -2 bay leaves or 1 -2
1 1/4 cups
salt and pepper
4 -6 tablespoons single cream or 4 -6 tablespoons double cream or 4 -6 tablespoons plain yogurt or 4 -6 tablespoons
- Peel the pumpkin, remove the seeds and then cut the flesh into 2.5 cm/1 inch cubes.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the onion & garlic and fry over a low heat until soft but not coloured.
- Add the pumpkin and toss with the onion for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add the ginger, lemon juice, strips or orange rind, if using, and bay leaves or bouquet garni. Cover and simmer over a low heat for about 20 minutes, until the pumpkin is tender.
- Discard the orange rind, if using, and the bay leaves or bouquet garni. Cool the soup slightly, then press through a strainer or process in a food processor until smooth. Pour into a clean saucepan.
- Add the milk and reheat gently. Adjust the seasoning. Garnish with a swirl of cream, natural yoghurt or fromage frais and snipped chives, and serve.