1 -2 stalk
1 -2 tablespoon
fresh minced garlic
( or to taste)
salt and black pepper
old cheddar cheese, shredded
grated parmesan cheese
( can use less)
8 -10 slices
cooked bacon, crumbled
parmesan cheese, for topping
grated cheddar cheese, for topping
- Bake the potatoes in the oven until fork-tender (about 1 hour) cool and remove the peel.
- Place the potatoes in a bowl and mash using a fork.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add in onion, garlic and celery (if using) saute until tender.
- Add in flour and cayenne and stir until smooth.
- Add in the mashed potatoes, half and half cream and milk; cook over low heat until thoroughly heated.
- Add in 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese and half of the cooked crumbled bacon; stir until the cheese has melted and the soup is heated through.
- Season soup with salt and black pepper.
- Ladle into serving bowls; sprinkle with remaining crumbled bacon and more cheddar cheese or Parmesan cheese.