1 1/2 cups
( whole wheat is nice)
garlic cloves, minced
leek, carefully cleaned and chopped
1 tablespoon fresh dill or 1 teaspoon
salt and pepper
cream cheese, in 1/2-inch cubes
1 1/4 cups
sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 1/4 cups
- Arrange the bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast in a 375 F oven until crispy.
- Saute the garlic in 2 tb. butter and 2 tb. olive oil until the garlic is golden.
- Toss the bread cubes with the garlic butter.
- Saute the leeks in the rest of the butter and olive oil for a couple of minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and seasonings, and continue to cook. Stir occasionally, but keep a lid on it to retain the juices from the mushrooms.
- Butter a 9 x 9 inch pan. Place the bread cubes in the pan, arrange the cream cheese on top, cover the cream cheese with the vegetables, and top with the cheddar cheese.
- Beat together the eggs and milk with some salt and pepper and pour it over the other ingredients in the pan.
- Bake in the 375 F oven until puffy and golden, about 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.