( fruit preservative)
3 1/2 cups
quick-cooking tapioca, plus
fresh lemon juice
aluminum foil, pie plates
PIE TOP FOR BAKING DAY
1 (9 inch)
cold butter, cut into pieces
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Using a paring knife score the peaches with an X into the skins only.
- Carefully drop the peaches into the boiling water; for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon remove the peaches to a large bowl of ice water for 1 minute (the skins should slip off easily, if not place them back into the boiling water for 30 seconds).
- Slice the peaches then put them into a large bowl; sprinkle with Fruit Fresh and sugar; toss to combine.
- Stir in the tapioca, lemon juice and salt; mix well to combine.
- Line 4 foil pie plates with heavy foil or freezer paper, placing a piece of plastic wrap over the foil.
- Put 4-5 cups of peach filling into each pan, then loosely fold wrapping around the pie; freeze until firm.
- When the filling is frozen solid remove from pans and wrap tightly, then return to freezer until ready to use.
- ON PIE BAKING DAY; for each pie place one frozen pie filling in a unbaked 9-inch pie shell, then add in 4 tablespoons butter pieces (1/4-cup) then sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Top the pie with an additional prepared pie crust; seal well, then flute as desired.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes in a 375 degree oven.