For the Crust
For the Filling
1 (3 ounce) packages
lemon pie filling mix
( not the instant)
1 3/4 cups
cream of tartar
- Sift measured flour and salt into a bowl.
- Pour oil into glass measuring cup and add cold milk to make 3/4 cup liquid.
- Pour liquid into bowl and stir with a fork.
- Save half the dough to use later.
- Roll remaining half of dough into circle between two sheets of wax paper.
- Place into pie pan, make standing rim, and prick with fork.
- Bake in oven 450°F for 8- 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and set aside to cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 425°F.
- Mix filling mix with sugar in a saucepan (not double-boiler).
- Add egg yolks and stir again.
- Add water, stirring constantly over medium heat, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Remove from heat and let cool. (this is when I zest and squeeze the lemon).
- Add butter, juice and zest.
- Let sit until meringue is ready.
- Put 5 tablespoons of the sugar into a measuring cup.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tarter until frothy. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and continue beating until whites start to stiffen. Gradually add remaining sugar while continuing to beat. Continue to beat until meringue forms stiff peaks.
- Pour filling into pie crust.
- Spoon meringue over filling, making sure to seal the edges against the pie shell.
- Make peaks with spoon.
- Brown pie 5- 10 minutes to desired color.
- Cool pie on rack and avoid drafts.
- Allow 3-6 hours for pie to firm up!