medium raw shrimp
( in shells)
ground lean pork
water chestnuts, finely chopped
green onions, chopped
( with tops)
( about 1/2 pound)
egg white, slightly beaten
- Peel shrimp.
- Make a shallow cut lengthwise down back of each shrimp; wash out vein.
- Chop shrimp finely.
- Mix shrimp, pork, water chestnuts, green onions, cornstarch, salt, sesame oil and white pepper.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon shrimp/pork mixture in center of won ton skin. (Cover remaining skins with plastic wrap to keep them pliable.)
- Fold bottom corner of won ton skin over filling to opposite corner, forming a triangle.
- Brush right corner (not the whole side, just the corner) of triangle with egg white; bring corners together and press to seal.
- Repeat with remaining won ton skins. (Cover filled won tons with plastic wrap to keep them from drying out.)
- Heat 5 cups water to boiling in Dutch oven; add won tons.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered 2 minutes; drain.
- Immediately rinse won tons in cold water; cover with ice water to keep them from sticking together.
- Mix ketchup, Hoisin sauce, chili paste and soy sauce; set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in 12-inch skillet over high heat; add ketchup mixture.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Add won tons; cook uncovered 3 minutes.