2 1/2 lbs
fingerling potatoes, unpeeled
FOR THE AIOLI
white bread, crust removed
2 tablespoons champagne vinegar or 2 tablespoons
white wine vinegar
garlic cloves, chopped
extra-large egg yolks, at room temperature
grated lemon zest
fresh lemon juice
fresh ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups
crushed red pepper flakes
- Rinse the potatoes and put them in a large saucepan and cover with salted(1 tablespoon) water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until they are just tender.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and place a kitchen towel on top, allowing them to steam for 5-10 minutes.
- For the aioli, tear the slice of bread into pieces and place in a bowl and pour the vinegar over the bread and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Place the garlic cloves, egg yolks, zest, juice, saffron, crushed red pepper flakes(if using), 1-1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade; add the bread and puree into a paste.
- With processor running slowly pour the oil through the feed tube until it is the consistency of thick sour cream. Place in a serving bowl.
- Slice potatoes in half and place them on a serving plate.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and decorate with chopped chives and serve with aioli.