cinnamon sticks, broken
whole coriander seeds
green cardamom pods
whole black peppercorn
orange, zest of
8 (8 ounce) bags
( to taste)
- Stirring constantly, lightly toast the anise, nutmeg, cinnamon, coriander, cardamom, black pepper, cloves, and allspice in a skillet over medium high heat. Take extra care not to burn the spices. You just want them to become fragrant.
- Let the spices cool slightly and coarsely grind in a spice mill.
- Split the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds. Reserve the seeds for another use (Oh! Like maybe some vanilla rice pudding!).
- Peel the ginger and cut into thin slices.
- Bring the water to a boil. Add the ground spices, orange zest, vanilla bean, and ginger. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the tea bags and steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags and strain the liquid. While still warm, add the honey and stir well to dissolve.
- Suggested serving is 2 parts chai to 1 part milk, water, or your favorite milk alternative. Serve hot or cold. The chai liquid can be stored in the refrigerator and used at your leisure.
- Makes approximately 12 12-ounce servings of tea.