medium grain Bulgar wheat
tart apple, chopped
( I use Granny Smiths)
garlic cloves, minced
1 3/4 cups fat free chicken broth or 1 3/4 cups nonfat beef broth or 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth or 1 3/4 cups
fresh parsley, chopped
1 -2 tablespoon
fresh sage, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a medium sized sauce pan, adding the bulgur, onions, celery, and apples.
- Cook 2 -3 minutes stirring so that the produce begins to soften and the bulgur begins to toast.
- Add the herbs (sage, thyme, and marjoram) along with the minced garlic and continue to cook 3-5 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the stock or water along with the bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to lowest possible flame, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- The bulgur will be tender but chewy.
- Take the bay leaf out.
- Mix in the chopped fresh parsley and season to taste.