dark brown sugar
7 fluid ounces
( or other Irish stout)
icing sugar, sifted
walnuts, finely chopped
- To make the cake-----------.
- Grease and line two 8-inch cake pans, and preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Gradually beat in the eggs.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda into a separate bowl.
- Stir Guinness into cocoa.
- Carefully fold in alternate quantities of flour and cocoa to butter/sugar mixture.
- Spread mixture into pans and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Leave to cool in pans for 5 minutes before turning out.
- To make the icing---------.
- Melt chocolate with Guinness, and then beat in butter and leave to cool a little before beating in icing sugar.
- Remove ¼ of icing and stir in chopped walnuts.
- When icing has cooled to a spreadable consistency, sandwich cake with walnut icing and use rest for top and sides.
- Decorate with walnut halves and grated chocolate.