3 1/2 teaspoons
red pepper flakes
- Peel carrots and cut into 3/4 inch thick sticks, 1 inch (2.5 cm) shorter than jar. To prepare pickling liquid,.
- combine vinegar, water and salt in a nonreactive Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve salt. In each hot sterilized jar, place 3 clove garlic, 1 head dill, and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper flakes.
- Pack carrot sticks into jars and place a.
- second head of dill on top.
- Pour boiling pickling liquid over carrots, leaving 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) headspace. Remove air.
- bubbles with a narrow rubber spatula or plastic knife.
- Add additional pickling liquid, if required, to maintain headspace.
- Wipe jar rims thoroughly with a clean damp cloth. Seal.