seasoned bread crumbs
grated Fontina cheese
grated mozzarella cheese
grated provolone cheese
grated parmesan cheese
chopped fresh basil
- Butter large baking dish and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Boil water for the pasta, making sure it's liberally salted. Add pasta and let it cook for 7-8 minutes or until slightly stiffer than al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a very large saucepan heat 3 tbsp of olive oil. Add pancetta and cook until crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside pancetta and leave fat in pan. Make sure there is about 1/4 cup of oil in there -- add olive oil to make up the difference if necessary.
- Add 3 tsp of minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add flour and whisk thoroughly.
- Slowly add milk, whisking, and bring to a boil.
- Set heat to low and let it simmer for 3 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Slowly add all the cheese until thoroughly melted, whisking constantly.
- Add pasta to the saucepan.
- Add pancetta and basil to the saucepan and toss.
- Transfer contents of saucepan to baking dish.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top and put in oven for 25 minutes.