8 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 8 ounces
semisweet chocolate, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
firmly packed dark brown sugar
butter, for parchment paper
parchment paper or
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch pan and line with buttered parchment paper (or lined with buttered foil).
- Set rack at the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350°.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and turn off heat. Combine butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set over pan of water. Stir occasionally until melted.
- Whisk eggs together in a large bowl, then whisk in salt, sugars, and vanilla. Stir in chocolate and butter mixture, then fold in flour.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for about 45 minutes, until top has formed a shiny crust and batter is moderately firm. Cool in pan on a rack. Wrap pan in plastic wrap and keep at room temperature or refrigerated until next day.
- To cut brownies, unmold onto a cutting board, remove paper, and replace with another cutting board. Turn cake right side up and trim away edges. Cut brownies into 2-inch squares.
- SERVING: Serve the brownies on their own or with ice cream and hot fudge sauce.
- STORAGE: The best way to store brownies is to wrap them individually and keep them at room temperature in a tin or plastic container with a tight-fitting cover. Or freeze them.
- NOTE: If you have a 12 x 18-inch commercial half-sheet pan, you may double this recipe easily.