( large tin)
onion, peeled and cut into wedges
garlic cloves, sliced
- Have your oven hot and preheated to 180°C.
- Place the tomatoes, and the juice, in a baking tray with the onion wedges, garlic and anchovies scattered over top.
- Sprinkle over sea salt and sugar.
- Pour over the olive oil and water and roast for 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Towards the end of the cooking time use a wooden spoon to scrape up any of the well cooked bits around the edge of the tray. If it looks like it is drying out too much add a little more water.
- Place in a food processor (I used a hand blender) and whiz for a few seconds to a smooth sauce (as smooth as you like it). Enjoy straight away or refrigerate until ready to use.