unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice (or freshly grated nutmeg) or 1/2 teaspoon
( or freshly grated nutmeg)
unsalted butter, melted
1 3/4 cups
apple, peeled and grated
unsalted butter, softened
real maple syrup, warmed
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices together.
- Pour in the melted butter and stir until it disappears.
- Stir in the buttermilk, egg yolks, molasses, vanilla, and apple.
- Beat the egg whites using an electric mixer until stiff but still glossy.
- Heat a greased waffle iron; fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Cook waffles one at a time, following the directions from the waffle-iron manufacturer.
- They should be crisp and brown when done.
- Serve the waffles individually as they are ready or hold them briefly in a warm oven until all are finished.
- Serve with softened butter and warmed maple syrup.