instant brown rice
scallions, trimmed and sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon
dried thyme leaves, crushed
fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
fresh ground black pepper
extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 (15 ounce) cans
black beans, rinsed
( desired spiciness ( mild to hot)
- Cook rice, according to package directions, adding scallions, garlic, and thyme to the water.
- Meanwhile, cook beans and salsa in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until hot, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Turn down heat to low to keep warm or set aside.
- Remove rice mixture from heat and stir in corn, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Let stand for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl until frothy.
- Add rice mixture and mash with potato masher until mixture holds together, about 1 minute. It will be fairly soft.
- Shape into 8 patties.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Carefully with a spatula, transfer 4 patties to the pan. Cook until browned and crispy, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Wipe out pan with a paper towel. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and repeat with remaining 4 patties.
- Remove beans from heat.
- To serve, divide beans among 4 plates and top with 2 patties each.