extra virgin olive oil
chorizo sausage, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced into half-moons
red onion, chopped
garlic cloves, chopped
celery rib, finely chopped
carrot, peeled and finely chopped
fresh thyme leave, chopped
coarse black pepper
dry white wine
1 (15 ounce) cans
diced fire-roasted tomatoes
( Muir Glen brand)
fresh flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt, then add the pasta; cook al dente per package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a large deep skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat with the olive oil.
- Add in the chorizo; cook for 2 minutes; add in the onions, garlic, celery, carrots, and thyme; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 5 minutes; then add in the wine and tomatoes; bring to a bubble/simmer.
- Add in the mussels and cover with the tight-fitting lid or some aluminum foil; cook 4-6 minutes or until the mussels open.
- Discard any unopened shells; using a slotted spoon and transfer the mussels to a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the drained cooked pasta and parsley to the skillet with the chorizo and tomatoes; toss to coat in the sauce; cook for 1 minute.
- Divide the pasta among 4 serving plates; top each bowl of pasta with a portion of the mussels.
- Serve immediately with the crusty bread.