unsalted butter, unsalted, at room temp
all-purpose flour, leveled in measure
orange, zest of, grated
( about 2 teaspoons)
- In a mixer or food processor bowl, beat butter, sugar, almond extract, and salt until smooth.
- With mixer on low speed, add flour and orange zest; mixt until dough forms.
- With a wooden spoon, rubber spatula, or your hands, gently mix in almonds.
- Cut piece of waxed paper--12" X 6".
- Roll dough into log shape (12" long by 2 1/2" wide and 1" thick. Place on waxed paper and wrap.
- Freeze until firm, at least 1 hour and up to 3 months.
- (If freezing longer than one day, wrap log again in double layers of plastic film.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Remove dough from freezer.
- With a sharp knife, slice into 1/4" thick slices; place on ungreased baking sheet at leat 1" apart.
- Bake until edges just begin to turn golden, about 20 minutes.
- DO NOT OVERBAKE.
- Cool 5 minutes on sheet; transfer to a rack to cool completely.