red pepper, diced
green pepper, diced
distilled white vinegar
1 (439.41 g) can
pigeon peas, Goya Dry Pigeon Peas
1 (226.79 g) can
tomato sauce, Del Monte
( to taste)
- Heat oil on medium heat.
- Add in onion, red pepper, green pepper, garlic and ajicito (aji) and 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Saute for 10 minutes on medium heat stirring every minute or so. (Do not cover until last step).
- Drain dry pigeon peas and reserve liquid. Add in dry pigeon peas and cook for another 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add in tomato sauce and 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Bring to a boil.
- Add in rice, reserved dry pigeon pea liquid, water and salt. Boil on high heat until water cooks down and bubbles are popping on the surface of the rice.
- Break cilantro stalks in half and mix into wet rice. Cover and cook on low heat for 15 minutes or until fully cooked.