salt and pepper
bread, for eating and mopping, ie. jewish rye, crusty dense bread, french, sour dough, ficelle
- Melt the butter in a saucepan (2 or 3 qt fine).
- Cut up the onions into 1/2 inch pieces. Saute in the butter until "golden", when they begin to turn brown and caramelize.
- Slice up the mushrooms thinly, cutting them in half crosswise first so the pieces won't be too large. Add them to the onions, and cook, mixing, until they give up their liquid.
- Gently simmer them for 1 1/2 hours (really! this will turn them silky), adding hot water as necessary to keep them barely covered. Mix occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm on the bread, which should be sliced fairly thinly.
- Prep time given below includes mostly the washing and chopping - sautéing the onions is included in the passive time.
- I truly had to guess at the # of servings, but it will serve lots at a party, or maybe 6? for lunch.