blueberries, washed and dried
( may also use frozen blueberries)
grated lemon rind
1 1/4 cups
unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons
butter, for the pan
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter an 8-inch square pan.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the blueberries with 1/4-cup of the sugar and the lemon rind. Pour the blueberries into the buttered pan.
- In another bowl, beat the shortening and sugar together until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- In another bowl, stir the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Stir the flour mixture into the shortening mixture, alternating with the milk. The batter should be smooth.
- Spoon the batter over the blueberries and place the cake into preheated oven. Bake for about 40 minutes.
- To serve: Let the cake cool slightly. Turn it out onto the serving plate. Serve with plain or with whipped cream or ice cream.