young okra pods
( Chicken or Beef stock or broth may be substituted)
thick lean platter bacon
( zested and halved or thickly sliced and seeded, see bottom)
salt and fresh coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- Trim off both ends of okra pods.
- Slice 1/4 inch thick.
- Carefully place the tomatoes into a small pot of boiling water for about 30-45 seconds. Remove from water and peel off skin.
- Slice tomatoes in half and scoop out the runny insides, discard this part. Coarsely chop the fleshy part of the tomatoes.
- Dice the bacon and fry until crisp. Remove to papertowels. Save grease.
- Place all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the okra is just tender.
- *1-2 Tbl. bacon grease can (and should)be added to enhance the soup's flavor.
- **The lemon can be thickly sliced and cooked right in the pot of soup, or it can be zested and halved and the fresh juice can be squeezed over each portion when served to taste, and garnished with the zest.