1 2/3 cups
1 1/2 cups
unsalted butter, melted
- Beat the yolks until pale and smooth.
- Beat in the buttermilk and then the baking soda and mix well.
- Sift in the dry ingredients mixing as you add; make sure the batter is smooth.
- Add in the melted butter and mix well.
- Beat the egg whites in another bowl until stiff.
- Fold into the batter until no bits of white are visible.
- Let batter stand about 20 minutes before making pancakes.
- Make sure your griddle is really hot (the old water droplet test).
- Ladle batter onto griddle; turn when bubbles form across the cakes and allow to lightly brown on the second side.
- Serve with warm maple syrup and sweet butter.