2 1/2 cups
small dried white beans
bacon, cut into 2 inch strips
real maple syrup
dark brown sugar
- Wash and pick over beans. Put beans and water in saucepan, cover. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 1 hour.
- Return to heat, bring back to a boil, lower heat and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes.
- Drain beans thougha colander set over a bowl. Reserve 2 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid and set aside.
- Put bacon in ovenproof casserole or bean pot. Cover with cooked beans.
- In a bowl, combine onion, salt, mustard, syrup, rum and 2 cups of reserved cooking liquid.
- Pour mixture over beans.
- Cover and bake in a 325 degree oven for 3 hours, adding the last 1/2 cup cooking liquid during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Remove from oven.
- Combine brown sugar and melted butter. Drizzle over beans.
- Bake, uncovered, for another hour or until liquid has evaporated.