standing rib roast
12 -15 lbs
( hickory preferred)
- Prepare 3/4 of the charcoal in smoker. Reserve the rest for keeping your heat at 225 to 250 degrees.
- Soak the wood chips in the water and bourbon.
- Rub roast with 5 dry seasonings and let it rest at room temperature until the smoker comes to heat.
- Place roast in smoker and close the lid.
- Toss a few handfulls of chips on the fire after about 10 minutes cooking time.
- Check roast's temperature every 50 minutes or so. (Using a remote thermometer with a lead is an even better idea. That way your heat will remain steady during your cooking time.).
- Keep close watch on the smoker's thermometer. Don't let the temp, vary more than 10 degrees up or down.
- Be sure to keep smoke flowing by adding chips as needed.
- It takes about 8 hours for the roast to reach an internal temperature of 140 to 145 degrees.
- Remove cooked roast from smoker and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.