red wine vinegar
rye bread, 1/4 inch thick
Dijon mustard, to taste
( to taste)
- Peel and slice onion into thin rounds (or half rounds)and cook in olive oil over medium heat, stirring frequently, until they are very soft.
- Meanwhile, form sausage meat into 4 thin patties. Try to form them so that they are slightly bigger than the bread slices since they will shrink when you cook them.
- When the onions are soft add the brown sugar and the vinegar. Stir and cook until the onions are browned.
- Fry sausage patties in a pan (use a little extra oil if your pan isn't non-stick) for about 3 to 5 minutes per side until cooked through or to your desired doneness (we like them very brown).
- Meanwhile, spread dijon mustard on each slice of bread in desired amounts.
- Top each slice of bread with a cooked sausage patty, then the onions, then the cheese.
- Place under the broiler (set to low so it won't cook too fast or burn) until cheese is melted and bubbling.