1 1/2 cups
whole almonds, skinned, toasted
( or Mexican)
orange, zest of, finely grated
2 1/4 teaspoons
eggs, separated, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line an 8" square baking pan with parchment.
- Finely grind the almonds, 6 ounces of the chocolate (reserve the rest of the chocolate for the glaze), the orange zest and 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon in the food processor.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with 3 tablespoons of the sugar until pale yellow and thick.
- Fold in the nut mixture; the batter will be very thick.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg whites and the salt until frothy.
- Gradually add the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar, continuing to beat until peaks form.
- Fold half the beaten egg whites into the almond mixture to lighten it, then gently fold in the other half.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, turn out onto a rack , peel off the parchment paper, and cool completely.
- To make the glaze, heat the cream and butter over medium low heat until steam rises from the surface.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the remaining three ounces of chocolate and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, until the chocolate is fully melted and incorporated.
- Cool for 15 minutes, or until the glaze is lukewarm.
- Pour over the cake, letting it drip down the sides.