2 1/4 ounces
fleischmann's fast rising yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar or 1 1/2 teaspoons
Splenda sugar substitute
cracked wheat flour
whole wheat flour
1/3 cup brown sugar or 1/3 cup
Splenda brown sugar blend
6 -6 1/2 cups
Pam cooking spray
- Make yeast mixture in a large glass bowl.
- The sugar will "proof" the yeast. It will bubble. Stir a few times to make sure it is all dissolved.
- In a very large bowl, mix the batter mixture and add the yeast mixture to it.
- Stir and mix well.
- To make the dough add flour 1 cup at a time and mix inches The dough should be stiff and not stick to your hands. Note: This may take more flour than is stated. Depends on where you live and your altitude. Make sure the dough is stiff.
- Rub 1 tbsp margarine inside a large bowl; place dough in bowl, cover with a moist warm cloth and let rise until double. It takes about 1 hour. Do not put in a draft or cold kitchen.
- Punch down and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Spray Pam into round cake pans. This makes 6 round loafs. Cut the dough into 6 equal portions. Form round loafs with your hands.
- Place in the cake pans. Prick with a fork across the top of the dough about 4 times.
- Let set 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake about 35 minutes. Until the round loaves are light brown and tops are firm.
- Option: You may brush the tops of the loaves with an egg wash which is one beaten egg and 1 tsp water after the bread has cooked for about 25 minutes.
- When cool, this bread can be double wrapped and frozen.