bicarbonate of soda
3 1/2 ounces
2 1/2 ounces
light brown sugar
butter, at room temperature
eggs, at room temperature
pecan halves, for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/gas 4. Grease 20 deep muffin tins or use paper cases.
- Spread pecans on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5 minutes. When cool, chop coarsely and set aside.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine caster sugar, light brown sugar, maple syrup and butter. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating to incorporate thoroughly after each addition.
- Pour half the buttermilk and half the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, then stir until blended. Repeat with the remaining buttermilk and dry ingredients.
- Fold in the chopped pecans. Fill the prepared cups two-thirds full. Top each muffin with 3 pecan halves. For even baking, half-fill any empty cups with water.
- Bake 350°F / 180°C for 20-30 minutes (mine needed nearly 30mins). Let stand 5 minutes before unmolding.
- For Pecan Spice Muffins, substitute an equal quantity of golden syrup for the maple syrup. Increase the cinnamon to 1/2 tsp, and add 1 tsp ground ginger and 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg, sifted with the dry ingredients.