( you can substitute sweet butter)
butter, for the pan
- First, combine the flour, eggs, salt and oil in a large bowl so you have plenty of room to whisk and combine these ingredients well. Then add about a quarter of the milk and mix till smooth.
- When it is smooth, add the balance of the milk all at once and mix gently until you have achieved a homogenous batter --NO LUMPS (Sans Grumeaux!).
- Then let the batter sit at room temperature for at least half an hour -- Now your batter is ready.
- Heat your skillet or, if you are lucky enough to have one, your crepe pan, add oil or butter or a combination of both--just enough to give the pan's surface a sheen, and add just enough batter to make a very thin veil across the pan.
- Then, using a spatula, carefully turn your crepe once it begins to brown around the edges and cook it on the other side.
- When it is lightly browned on both sides, remove it from the pan and lay it on a warm plate.
- Repeat the process, stacking your crepes one on top of the other.