1 1/2 teaspoons
cream of tartar
chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Cut in the chilled butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. (I prefer to grate in frozen butter).
- Add the raisins, beaten egg, and enough buttermilk to make a soft dough.
- Knead very lightly on a floured board to just combine the ingredients, handling gently to retain air needed for scones to rise.
- Roll out to a ½ inch thickness.
- Cut the dough into 8 thick wedges with a sharp knife.
- Place the scones on 2 greased baking sheets, leaving a ½ inch space around each one.
- To glaze, combine the egg yolk and water in a bowl and brush onto each scone (be careful not to drip any of the glaze onto the pan or the scones will stick).
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, or until golden brown.