1 1/3 cups
2 1/2 teaspoons
active dry yeast
light brown sugar
kosher salt or
( 1/2 cup)
- In a small bowl if using a bread machine, or in the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix a 1/3 cup of the warm water (105-115 degrees) with the yeast and let stand until foamy.
- Add the remaining cup of warm water along with milk, sugar & melted butter and swirl to dissolve the sugar. (If using a bread machine add mixture to bread machine at this point and continue).
- Add flour and mix on dough cycle or med-low speed.
- Remove dough from bread machine once it forms a nice a firm, pliable dough ball.
- Add more flour if necessary.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured table and knead for 2 minutes.
- Roll into a 2 foot long log and cut into 12 even pieces.
- Cover dough with plastic and a damp cloth and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Pat dough into rolls or form knots and arrange on a lightly floured surface about an inch apart and cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap.
- Let the pretzels rest for an additional 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Lightly oil 2 baking sheets.
- In a large stockpot, bring the cold water to a rolling boil and add baking soda.
- Drop two rolls into the boiling water and boil for no more then 30 seconds, turning once.
- Carefully remove with tongs or slotted spoon and hold above pot and let drain.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Repeat with the remaining rolls.
- Arrange rolls on the oiled baking sheets and bake on the upper and middle racks of the oven for about 8-10 minutes, or until browned all over; shift pans from top to bottom and back to front halfway through, for even baking.
- Let rolls cool on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes, then transfer them to a rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.