Italian salad dressing
4 (12 ounce)
( See Note)
- Trim lamb shanks of any excess fat. Place shanks in a sturdy plastic bag lrg enough to hold all 4 shanks & pour the Italian salad dressing over them. Refrigerate at least 5 hrs, occ rearranging the meat & marinade to get complete & equal coverage.
- Remove lamb & reserve the marinade.
- Mix 1/2 cup cheese, flour, parsley flakes, salt & onion salt. Coat lamb w/the cheese mixture & reserve any that remains.
- Heat shortening in 12-inch skillet or dutch oven til melted. Cook lamb in hot shortening (turning occ) till browned on all sides. Drain all hot shortening from skillet (See Note).
- Sprinkle any remaining cheese mixture over the lamb. Add reserved marinade to the pan & enough water for a slow simmer.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, cover pan & reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook till tender (about 2 1/2 hrs), turning occ & adding water to pan as needed. Serve w/additional grated Parmesan cheese on the side.
- NOTE: While the recipe calls for the use of shortening, we all know it's rarely used now. Feel free to sub your oil of choice.