dry compressed yeast cakes, crushed
2 1/2 cups
2 tablespoons grain alcohol or 2 tablespoons
( such as preserves or thick jam)
- Dissolve crushed yeast in lukewarm milk, sift in flour, add sugar.
- Mix, cover, and let stand in warm place to rise.
- Beat egg yolks with powdered sugar and vanilla sugar until fluffy.
- Sift flour into bowl, add sponge (yeast mixture), egg mixture, and grain alcohol or rum.
- Knead well until dough is smooth and glossy.
- Gradually add melted lukewarm butter and continue kneading dough until it no longer clings to hands and bowl and air blisters appear.
- Cover with cloth and let rise in warm place until doubled.
- Punch dough down and let it rise again. Transfer dough to floured board, sprinkle top with flour, and roll out about 1/2" inch thick.
- With glass or biscuit-cutter, cut into rounds.
- Arrange on floured board and proceed in either of the following ways:.
- SMALL PACZKI:.
- Place a spoonful of fruit filling (rose-hip preserves, cherry preserves, or other thick jam) off center on each round.
- Raise edges of dough and pinch together over filling, then roll between palms snowball fashion to form balls.
- Let rise in warm place until doubled.
- LARGE PACZKI:.
- Place a spoonful of fruit filling as above on only 1/2 dough rounds, cover each with another round, pinch edges together, and roll between palms to form a ball.
- Let rise until doubled in warm, draft-free place.
- Heat 1 1/2-2 lbs. lard in deep pan so paczki can float freely during frying.
- It is hot enough when a small piece of dough dropped into hot fat immediately floats up.
- Fry paczki without crowding several minutes until nicely browned on bottom, then turn over and fry on other side another 3 minutes or so.
- If using electric fryer, set temperature at 360-375 degrees.
- If frying in stove-top pan and fat begins to burn, add several slices of peeled raw potato which will both lower the temperature and absorb the burnt flavor.
- Paczki may also be fried in oil, but lard produces the tastiest results.
- If you are cutting down on animal fats, you can compromise by using a lard and oil combination.
- Transfer fried paczki to absorbent paper and set aside to cool.
- When cool, dust generously with powdered sugar, glaze or icing.
- RECIPES USING EGG WHITES:.
- Fat-Free, Sugar-Free & Cholesterol-Free Banana Bread! Fat-Free, Sugar-Free & Cholesterol-Free Banana Bread!.
- Angel Food Cake Angel Food Cake - Homemade.
- Fruit pies with meringue topping.