prime rib roast
( hotel style)
peppercorn, freshly ground
2 (10 ounce) cans
beef consomme, cold
- Anytime between 9:00AM and 12 noon, salt and pepper meat. Preheat oven to 350*. Roast meat uncovered for 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn oven off. DO NOT OPEN oven door.
- Very important for good results!
- I always sealed the oven door with tape to make sure the boys did not accidentally open it.
- An hour before serving, turn oven to 350* and roast meat 45 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and let rest on counter top for 20 minutes before carving.
- Bring pan juices to a boil, add consommé and heat.
- Jus can be thickened it a bit with Veloutine*.
- Tips:Serve with deep brown potatoes and a vegetable of your choice. Extra ”jus” and horseradish as accompaniments make the meal sublime.
- For a 10 pound roast, increase second cooking period to 1 hour.
- *Veloutine is an Instant Thickener made by Knorr.