butter, cut into small pieces
( use a good-quality chocolate for this)
instant espresso powder
( or use instant coffee granules)
( or use any kind of chocolate-flavor liqueur)
semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Set oven to 350 degrees (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Lightly butter an 8 or 9-inch cake pan with a removeable bottom.
- For the brownie cake; in a saucepan combine 1/2 cup butter with unsweetened chocolate; stir over low heat until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and beat in sugar, 3 tablespoons espresso powder, eggs and vanilla until well blended.
- Stir in the flour just until incorporated using a wooden spoon.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the center springs back when gently pressed.
- Let cool completely in the pan for 1 hour.
- For the icing; in a bowl combine 1/4 cup softened butter and 1 tablespoon espresso powder with 2 tablespoons liqueur with the powdered sugar; using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat mixture until smooth and fluffy (adding in 1 tablespoon more of liqueur if necessary to make a smooth spreadable mixture).
- Spread evenly over the top of the cooled cake.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, then drizzle on top of the icing.
- Chill the cake until the icing is firm (about 45 minutes).
- Just before serving remove the pan rim.
- Cut the cake into wedges.