butter, softened and cubed
( unpeeled, Northern Spy or Delicious)
sliced almonds, toasted, for garnish
- In bowl, stir together flour, sugar and baking powder.
- With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter just until in coarse chunks and mixture is still dry.
- Drizzle with egg; toss until slightly moistened. (Mixture should not come together like dough.).
- Set aside 1 cup (250 mL) for topping; lightly press remainder evenly onto bottom and halfway up side of 10-inch (3 L) springform pan. Set aside.
- In bowl, toss together apples, sherry and lemon juice.
- Stir together sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; sprinkle over apples and toss well. Scrape into pan, levelling top.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven until golden, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Let stand on rack until warm; run knife around edge to loosen.
- Let cool completely before removing side of pan.
- Serve with whipped cream and toasted sliced almonds.